The Bible Way
“On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collection will have to be made.” 1 Corinthians 16:2
Investing money is a hot topic. Countless organizations publicize the advantages of their investment opportunities, offering advice and insights on how to get a desired return from investments.
Paul guided the early believers in knowing were and how to invest their money in the Lord’s work. He gave them a plan that remains applicable to this day. This giving investment supports the church’s work now a results in eternal dividends, people who receive eternal life through their commitment to Christ.
Following this Scriptural pattern of “investing” will;
- Build discipline – Giving is not to be haphazard, but on the first day of every week.
- Be open to everyone – Every person, including you, is to participate.
- Relate giving to worship – You give as you gather to study God’s Word and worship.
- Create a climate for growth – The Bible’s way is to give proportionately in relation to income and recognize the tithe as the starting point for growth in giving.
- Focus on needs of people – Christian giving is not a financial transaction as much as an expression of obedience to God and a desire to minister to others.